- Social responsibility is an organization’s legal and voluntary duty to consider its social and environmental impact of its decisions and activities.
- ARAB Business needs social responsibility as way of doing business because the successful businesses of tomorrow will be those that lead and create value both inside and outside the walls of the company.
- ISO 26000 covering sustainability pillars as thinking guide can help your business to run in an environmentally, economically and socially responsible way.
What is sustainability?
“Meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs" - The classic definition of sustainable development established by the U.N. Brundtland Commission in Our Common Future (1987).
It is means that growth must be both inclusive and environmentally sound to reduce poverty and build shared prosperity for today’s population and to continue to meet the needs of future generations. It is efficient with resources and carefully planned to deliver both immediate and long-term benefits for people, planet, and prosperity.
The three pillars of sustainable:
- Development – economic growth
- Environmental stewardship
- Social inclusion
Carry across all sectors of development, from cities facing rapid urbanization to agriculture, infrastructure, energy development and use, water availability, and transportation.
Cities are embracing low-carbon growth and public transportation. Farmers are picking up the practices of climate-smart agriculture. Countries are recognizing the value of their natural resources, and industries are realizing how much they can save through energy and supply chain efficiency.
Why ARAB Business needs Transnational toward Social Responsibility?
Social responsibility is an organization’s legal and voluntary duty to consider its social and environmental impact of its decisions and activities. A corporate responsibility strategy outlines the ways that an organization contributes to sustainable development, engages with its stakeholders and behaves ethically.
ARAB Business needs social responsibility as way of doing business because the successful businesses of tomorrow will be those that lead and create value both inside and outside the walls of the company.
How ISO 26000 covering sustainability?
ISO 26000 defines seven principles of social responsibility:
- Accountability: being answerable for decisions and activities and their impacts on society, the economy and the environment.
- Transparency: openness about decisions and activities that impact on society and the environment.
- Ethical behavior: in accordance with accepted principles of right or good conduct
- Respect for stakeholder interest: respect, consider and respond to the interests of its stakeholders
- Respect for rule of law: mandatory
- Respect for international norms of behavior
- Respect for human rights
ISO 26000 covering sustainability pillars as thinking guide helping your business to run in an environmentally, economically and socially responsible way.
THE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY CHALLENGE:
- It helps clarify what social responsibility is,
- Helps businesses and organizations translate principles into effective actions and shares best practices relating to social responsibility, globally.
- It is aimed at all types of organizations regardless of their activity, size or location.
THE ENVIROMENTAL CHALLENGE:
ISO 26000 makes recommendations on how to identify significant environmental aspects and minimize the environmental impact of organizations’ activities.
- Prevention of pollution Measures: aimed at preventing pollution and waste to improve environmental performance.
- Sustainable resource use: Key areas include energy efficiency, water conservation/access to water and material efficiency.
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation: In addition to climate mitigation, organizations need to address adaptation by understanding their vulnerability, identify significant climate risks, and plan and implement adaptation options.
- Protection of the environment and restoration of natural habitats: Protecting and restoring habitats and the various functions and services that ecosystems provide.
ISO 26000 contributes to the economic growth of companies taking a step towards the pursuit of global performance and can increase client satisfaction and trust, and promote harmonization between corporate social responsibility and existing documents, treaties, conventions and other ISO standards.
Why ISO 26000 helpful for business?
The International Standard ISO 26000 help Business to:
- Design and build a social responsibility strategy tailored to any fields and size of business
- Adapt this strategy to any legal, cultural or political environment
- Manage social or environmental issues specific to any fields and size of business
- Engage employees, communities and business partners in your strategy
- Win greater trust and credibility as a socially responsible organization.